What is cupping?
Like acupuncture, cupping is an ancient therapy that is part of Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) treatment in Anoka. Cupping works well for treating pain and many other complaints.
- An alcohol-soaked cotton ball is lit on fire
- This creates a vacuum inside glass cups
- Cups are then quickly placed on the skin
(Fire is removed before cups contact skin)
- Cups stay suctioned to skin due to negative pressure
- Cups are usually left on for around 10 minutes
Why choose cupping for pain relief?
- Cupping has no side effects (besides temporary discoloration to treated area) and is a non-habit forming treatment, un-like some medications or nasal sprays.
- Cupping is a useful treatment for muscular pain like back pain, neck pain and shoulder pain. (This article shows cupping marks on Olympic swimmers for shoulder pain)
How does it work?
An alcohol-soaked cotton ball is lit on fire, creating a vacuum inside glass cups. These cups are then quickly placed on the skin before suction is lost. Cups are usually left on for at least 10 minutes (usually on the back).
Cupping therapy works by releasing stagnation and pain from the meridians or channels (energy pathways) of the body to relieve pain.
Cupping drains toxins and pathogens to promote circulation.
Cupping moves lymph to detoxify the blood to strengthen the immune system.
What does it treat?
Cupping treats muscular pain and muscle spasms, digestive problems, as well as many lung issues.
Cupping helps relieve pain, back pain, muscle tightness, joint pain, musculoskeletal pain, cough, allergies, asthma, wheezing,
Sinus issues, improves circulation, pain due to fibromyalgia, stress, and is helpful for the prevention of cold and flu by draining toxins and pathogens, which promotes circulation of the lymphatic system, cleaning the blood and lymph, and thereby strengthening the immune system.
What should you expect?
Most patients enjoy cupping and find it relaxing.
Some patients even fall asleep during cupping.
Cupping should not cause pain or discomfort.
Cupping may leave colored (painless) circles on the area treated. These marks should clear up within days to a week. Discoloration may last longer, depending on the ability of the body to circulate blood and to detoxify.
Ackerman Acupuncture in Anoka will talk with you about what to expect with cupping before and after the treatment.
This therapy releases stagnation and pain from the body.
Schedule your cupping appointment today.
Call us at (763) 477-1338.