Probiotics 101 -Part 2 (How to Balance Your Digestive Health near Andover, MN)
Learn about these to Balance Thy Gut! …
- What are Probiotics?
- “Good” vs “Bad” Bacteria
- Fermented Food/ Beverages
- High Quality Probiotics Supplement – (Pill)
Probiotics are the microorganisms made of “Good” Bacteria.
The gut likes “Good” bacteria.
The gut hates too much “Bad” bacteria.
Too much “Bad” kills the “Good” (Slowing Digestion).
Enough “Good” Kills the “Bad.”
Signs/ Symptoms of too much “Bad” Bacteria:
- Feeling Tired, especially after eating
- Putting off eating; fear of getting less done afterward (Nap!)
- Bloating after eating
- Low immunity (easily gets sick)
Not Enough “Good” Bacteria
Makes You Feel Tired
Because Longer Digestion time
Zaps your Energy.
Signs/ Symptoms of Enough “Good” Bacteria:
- High Energy
- No more bloating after eating
- No more constipation
- Daily bowel movements
- Higher Immunity (rarely get sick)
When we have enough of the “Good” bacteria, our digestion runs smoothly.
This is because “Good” bacteria cancels out “bad” bacteria & our guts can more easily absorb nutrients, vitamins, minerals and fats.
This keeps the body in balance.
…Probiotics to the Rescue!
Probiotics Give Us:
- High Energy
- Stable Mood
- No Bloat
- Pooping once or more daily
- No more Brain “Fog”
This balance allows high energy and regular bowel movements which are made up of a good, substantial stool.
Probiotics (fermented food/ beverage)
- Kefir (water-based) is carbonated like soda.
It is made out of water kefir cultures called “grains.”
This Probiotic Beverage is full of “Good” bacteria.
There is also Kefir made from dairy or coconut water. Available in bottles in grocery stores or you can make your own.
There are many varieties of flavors to make!
Here is a recipe for Water-based Kefir (Soda):
How to video: http://wellnessmama.com/2261/water-kefir-soda/
- Kimchi is a Korean traditional side dish made of fermented cabbage & other vegetables and seasonings.
- Kombucha an ancient tradition from China, is a lightly carbonated beverage made with tea and fruit.
It is made from a culture of “good” bacteria and yeast (similar to sourdough).
This culture is called a “Kombucha Mama,” “Kombucha Mother” or “Scoby” and can be purchased. The culture is allowed to ferment.
Purchase in bottles at Grocery Stores or make yourself.
Kombucha provides probiotics, amino acids and B vitamins. It aids digestion and supports the immune system.
Here’s a great tutorial to Make Your Own: http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-brew-kombucha-double-fermentation-method/
- Miso is a Japanese paste made of soybean-based culture. It makes a soup, made with kelp (seaweed) and chives. It is traditionally eaten before meals to help warm digestion and is an easily digested complete protein. You can easily make your own at home using Miso paste from the grocery store. Gluten-free miso contains only soybeans and salt (without wheat-based soy).
- Pickles made with lacto-fermentation. Many modern pickles are made using vinegars and heat and this “cooks out” much of the enzymes and “good” bacteria. Check the label to ensure pickles were fermented.
- Sauerkraut is cabbage which has been salted and lacto-fermented for weeks. Lacto-fermentation preserves vitamins and enzymes using lactic acid, a natural preservative that stops the growth of “bad” bacteria. It can be made or purchased at a Cooperative Grocery store or health food store.
- Tempeh is a soybean-based fermented cake, rooted in ancient Indonesian culture. It is loved by vegetarians & vegans due to being a complete protein food with calcium and iron, and contains all of the essential amino acids. It is versatile and easy to make at home.
- Yogurt should be made of live, active cultures and full fat. You can make it at home or purchase in Cooperative Grocery Stores and some grocery store chains carry it.
Probiotics High Quality Supplement – (Pill)
High quality Probiotics Pills are:
- Sold in the refrigerated section (keep refrigerated)
- Made from Non-pathogenic Human-sourced microflora bacterial strains (NO Dairy or Animal strains)
- High tolerance to stomach acid (Non-Dairy/Animal)
- Works Faster (Non-Dairy/Animal)
- Adheres more to GI tract (Non-Dairy/Animal)
It should contain these bacteria strains:
- acidophilus: helps digest dairy
- bifidum: digests complex carbs, fat and protein
- FOS re-establishes & maintains “Good” bacteria
I use and recommend a gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, corn-free, sugar-free, starch-free, Vegetarian, Probiotic myself which is free of artificial color/ flavor/ preservatives and find it to be well-tolerated by my patients with hormonal imbalances, Auto-Immune Diseases, food intolerance and general deficiencies.
Order Probiotics & other Supplements at Ackerman Acupuncture in Anoka, MN.
Long-term use of Probiotics for:
- Yeast Overgrowth
- Weakened Immune System
- Intestinal Disorders (Crohn’s Disease, IBS)
Safe to Use with:
- While taking birth control pills
- During continuous antibiotic use
- During steroid or hormonal replacement therapy
Our Practitioner-grade Probiotics are guaranteed to contain NO Added:
Artificial coloring/ flavor
Written by Aleesha Ackerman, LAc.
See Next Week’s Blog:
Probiotics 101 (How to Balance Your Digestive Health near Andover, MN) Part 3
Read Probiotics 101- Part 3: Lifestyle Tips for Improved Digestion!
Visit Ackerman Acupuncture for Pain Relief & Wellness.
Ackerman Acupuncture is easily accessible and treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome, alternating diarrhea with constipation, Crohn’s Disease, urgency of bowel and other root causes of diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation and other digestion issues near Blaine, MN.
Feel free to discuss any questions you may have. Call to schedule your free consultation at 763-477-1338 and relax in our private treatment rooms near Andover, MN.
Ackerman Acupuncture treats all pain conditions, including Crohn’s Disease near Oak Grove, MN. Call today to make an appointment at 763-477-1338
Mike Ackerman, LAc. treats many pain issues, including Sports Injuries and Pain, Back pain, Sciatica and Plantar Fasciitis near Blaine, MN. 55303
Aleesha Ackerman, LAc treats patients affected by digestive disorders, weight issues and many Women’s issues like Menopause with Hot Flashes and Low Energy and Mood with Adrenal Fatigue, Auto-Immune Disease or Fibromyalgia near Andover, MN.
Contact us to be seen by Aleesha Ackerman, LAc. or Mike Ackerman, LAc.
To see more blog posts like this visit: http://www.ackermanacupuncture.com/blog.html
Like us on Facebook to follow us and keep up-to-date on events.
Visit the website at http://www.ackermanacupuncture.com/
This article is not intended to replace any health care.
No information on this site should be relied on to determine medical diagnosis or treatment for a medical condition. As with any health concerns, always be sure to consult your health care provider with any health concerns.