Acupuncture for Knee Pain due to Sprain, Strain, Muscle, Joint, Tendon, or Ligament Injury (near Blaine, MN)
Why Try Acupuncture For Osteoarthritis Pain of Knee?
Unlike Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and other OA medications, acupuncture has no side effects, yet decreases osteoarthritis stiffness and pain of knees, back and other joints, reduces inflammation markers and supports increased joint function. Be sure your acupuncturist is licensed before you make an appointment for acupuncture.
Ackerman Acupuncture in Anoka treats patients for knee pain due to injuries like meniscus tear in order to reduce inflammation, swelling and pain for a quicker recovery from injury.
Knee Pain – Due to Injured Ligament (Sprain)?
ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) Injury = Injury to ligament (sprain) in front of knee…Common in sports such as soccer, gymnastics, lacrosse, skiing, snowboarding, tennis and volleyball, usually due to non-contact movements like pivoting, twisting or hyper-extending in Anoka.
- “Pop” sound right at time of injury
- Sudden, intense pain
- Unable to completely straighten or bend knee
- Hard to walk without knee giving out
When to Call a Doctor
- Unable to bend knee at 90° angle
- Unable to bend, then straighten leg
*If swelling, stiffness or pain prevent these movements, it is usually a torn ACL
- Laxity in ligaments (thumb to forearm flexion)
Prevention – ACL Injury
- Squats, Lunges and Bridge Exercises Keep hamstrings and hips strong
- Land on balls of feet with butt out and knees bent (chair position)
- Daily Tai Qi or Yoga to practice “chair”
- Always Stretch and do warm-ups
PCL (Posterior Cruciate Ligament) Injury = Injury to ligament (sprain) behind knee
Not as common as ACL injury. ACL injuries are seen in auto accidents where knees strike the dashboard, athlete falling on bent knee in football or soccer or a simple misstep near Maple Grove, MN.
Symptoms (similar to ACL Injury)
Prevention- PCL Injury
- Avoid landing on knees
- *High grade ligament tear may require surgery
MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament) injury is a common ligament injury and involves the ligament on the medial (inside) of knee. MCL injury happens in sports like wrestling, hockey and football, usually due to a blow to the outer side of knee (places pressure on inside).
- “Catching” or locking with knee extension and flexion
- Tender or painful to the touch of inside of knee
- Imaging can rule out ACL injury (common to have both)
Prevention -MCL Injury
- Rest after hard workouts (strain wears out MCL)
- Lunges and Squats to keep Quads strong
- Use safe practices with tackling in football
- Wear knee brace to stabilize knee to avoid added stress, once injured
*(Though MCL injuries rarely require surgery, high grade ligament tear in the knee may require surgery).
LCL (Lateral Collateral Ligament) injury – These are rare. Involves the ligament on the lateral (outer side) of knee. May be from a blow to inside of knee. It is commonly associated with ACL injury.
Symptoms -LCL Injury
- Pain in outside of knee
- Catching or locking at knee joint with movement
Knee Pain – Due to Injured Meniscus?
Menisci are shock-absorbing bands of cartilage in the knee joint. These bands attach to the tibia bone on the shin. There is a Medial Meniscus and Lateral Meniscus.
- Pain with sudden or gradual onset
- Pain with bending knees or squatting
- Possible swelling (24-48 hours)
- Direct impact (contact sports)
- Gradual deterioration (wear and tear)
Medial Meniscus vs Lateral Meniscus Injury…
Medial Meniscus Injury = Medial (inside) knee pain
Lateral Meniscus Injury = Outer side knee pain at joint line
Q: How long is Recovery from Meniscus tear?
A: It usually takes about 6-8 weeks to recover a meniscus tear injury and acupuncture can help keep down swelling and pain to help you heal quickly.
Prevention – Meniscus Injury
- Wear knee brace to stabilize knee joint during sports
- Leg-strengthening exercises
Meniscus Already Torn?
-Prevention of Further Injury to Meniscus Tear
- *If knee feels unstable, be careful with activity (to avoid further tearing)
- Exercises to strengthen leg and prevent further meniscus damage
- Wear knee brace to stabilize knee (avoid added stress) and avoid carrying large or heavy objects such as boxes, especially while walking on stairs or slippery surfaces, such as ice on a sidewalk (avoid further tearing of meniscus).
Pain Issues We Treat:
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Sports Injury
- Knee Pain
- Repetitive Stress Injury
- Meniscus tear and ACL injury
- Osteoarthritis and Joint pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Rotator Cuff injury shoulder pain
- Frozen Shoulder
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Nerve entrapment/ impingement issues with pain
- Sciatica pain
- Elbow pain due to tennis elbow or golf elbow
- Ankle pain
- Heel pain
- Foot pain
- Acute and Chronic Pain
- Trigger finger
- Wrist pain
- Surprise! Acupuncture Treats…
Acupuncture helps with pain and swelling due to knee injury, such as meniscus tear or strain. Many patients visit Ackerman Acupuncture in Anoka at the same time as physical therapy sessions for the knee in order to reduce inflammation, swelling and pain for a quicker recovery from injury.
Ackerman Acupuncture is conveniently located at 2331 108th LN NE Blaine, MN 55449. Ackerman Acupuncture is easily accessible from the city of Blaine off Highway 65 in Blaine.
Call 763-477-1338 to schedule a free consultation in private treatment rooms.
Visit Ackerman Acupuncture for Pain Relief & Wellness.
Like us on Facebook to follow us and keep up-to-date.
This article is not intended to replace any health care.
No information on this site should be relied on to determine medical diagnosis or treatment for a medical condition. As with any health concerns, always be sure to consult your health care provider with any health concerns.
Licensed Acupuncturists Serving Andover, Anoka, Big Lake, Blaine, Champlin, Coon Rapids, Dayton, East Bethel, Elk River, Fridley, Ham Lake, Isanti, Minneapolis, Now Then, Oak Grove, Maple Grove, Osseo, Saint Francis, Saint Paul, Spring Lake Park and Ramsey, MN 55303.
Zip codes we treat: 55304, 55303, 55309, 55014, 55434, 55449, 55316, 55433, 55448, 55327, 55330, 55432, 55040, 55401, 55402, 55403, 55404, 55406, 55407, 55408, 55409, 55410, 55411, 55412, 55413, 55416, 55418, 55419, 55421, 55422, 55011, 55311, 55369, 55102, 55103, 55104, 55105, 55106, 55107, 55108, 55101, 55109, 55110, 55111, 55113, 55114, 55116, 55117, 55120, 55124, 55125, 55115, 55118, 55119, 55121, 55122, 55123, 55126, 55129, 55130, 55146, 55127, 55128, 55133, 55144, 55145, 55155, 55164, 55165, 55166, 55166, 55168, 55170, 55175, 55187, 55188, 55171, 55172, 55014, 55025, 55371, 55398, 55308, 55960
Serving Anoka County, the north metro and Minneapolis area.